If you can’t decide between Payhip and Gumroad, you are in the right place. Payhip and Gumroad are two popular tools available, but their intended audiences are quite different. Compare them side by side:
- Payhip is an e-commerce platform designed for selling digital products and services. It offers features for creating storefronts, setting up payment gateways, and managing orders. Payhip is suitable for individuals and businesses looking to sell digital goods online. However, it may not provide the same level of community and fan engagement features as Gumroad.
- Gumroad is an e-commerce platform that focuses on helping creators sell their work directly to their audience. It offers features for selling digital products, physical goods, and subscriptions. Gumroad’s community-building features enable creators to connect with fans and engage with their audience. It is suitable for creators looking to build a fan base and monetize their content. While both platforms offer e-commerce capabilities, Gumroad’s emphasis on creator-audience interaction and community engagement makes it a more suitable choice for content creators seeking a platform that fosters a deeper connection with their audience. Payhip, on the other hand, is better suited for straightforward digital product sales without the emphasis on community engagement.
Main Differences Between Payhip and Gumroad
Payhip and Gumroad are both platforms for selling digital products, each offering unique features and pricing models. Users should assess their product types, sales volume, and desired features to determine which platform aligns better with their needs.
Pricing of Payhip and Gumroad
Here are the pricing plans of Payhip and Gumroad:
Here is a breakdown of the pricing plans for Payhip:
- 1. Free Plan: $0 per month. This plan includes a free storefront with limited features, and Payhip charges a 5% transaction fee on all transactions in addition to PayPal/Stripe fees.
- 2. Plus Plan: $29 per month. This plan includes everything in the Free plan, plus additional features such as a custom domain, discount codes, and email support. Payhip charges a 2% transaction fee on all transactions in addition to PayPal/Stripe fees.
- 3. Pro Plan: $99 per month. This plan includes everything in the Plus plan, plus additional features such as no transaction fees, priority support, and custom checkout fields.”
Gumroad’s pricing is simple and straightforward. There are no monthly fees, and they only take a small percentage of every sale made by the user. The percentage they take varies depending on the lifetime earnings of the user. Here are the fees:
- Getting Started: 8.5% + 30 cents per transaction. This plan is free to sign up and set up shop, and Gumroad only takes money when a sale is made. It includes a Gumroad storefront with unlimited products, analytics, and customer management tools. However, it has a limited number of posts and workflows, and can only offer standard definition streaming of videos.
- Pro: $10 per month or $108 when billed annually, plus the credit card fees. This plan covers up to 1,000 customers and includes everything in the Getting Started plan, plus more advanced features.
- Enterprise: $39 per month. This plan includes everything in the Pro plan, plus additional features for larger businesses.
Note that Gumroad also offers a free plan with limited features, and there are other Gumroad alternatives available with different pricing plans and features.
My experience with Payhip and Gumroad
After using and testing Payhip and Gumroad, this is what I liked and didn’t like about both platforms:
Payhip offers a straightforward platform for selling digital products and memberships. What I liked in particular is its simplicity – setting up your store is quick, and you can start selling in no time. It’s a great option for those who want a hassle-free experience. Additionally, the low transaction fees are a plus. You get to keep a higher portion of your sales, which is essential for maximizing profits. However, Payhip’s features are more focused on selling digital products, so if you’re looking for broader e-commerce capabilities, it might fall short. Just be aware that Payhip’s features might not be as extensive as some other e-commerce platforms. So, assess your needs carefully before making a decision.
Gumroad provides a simple platform for selling digital products directly to your audience. The ease of setting up your store and managing your products is a highlight. It’s ideal for creators who want a straightforward way to start selling online. Furthermore, the low transaction fees mean you keep a higher portion of your sales. This is crucial for maximizing your profits. However, Gumroad’s features are primarily focused on digital product sales. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive e-commerce solution, you might need to explore other platforms. Just remember that while Gumroad is user-friendly, it might not offer the same range of features as more complex e-commerce systems.
Our Winner: Gumroad
After analyzing both Payhip and Gumroad, we concluded that the best choice overall is Gumroad.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that the other choice is particularly bad. Some cases could even be the other way around, depending on your specific needs.